Of all my books, Max gets recommended the most. I also get loads of emails, blog queries, and questions on Goodreads about whether or not I would write a sequel.
Well, here it is. It was a long time coming. A year ago, had written the end, then started the beginning, then the middle; then, I changed my mind about some stuff, did rewrites, had a real crisis of confidence, scrapped a bunch of chapters . . . but, in the end, I ended up going back to the way it was originally. A lot of words were written just to go back to the basics.
Hey, it happens. I think the book is actually better for the journey taken.
What should you know about the book? Well, first off, as the title says, it’s a sequel. You can’t go into Max, the Sequel, without reading Max. I mean, you could, but why would you? Second, read the content warnings. They’re at the beginning of the book. You can see them on Amazon by using the “Look inside” feature. Pay attention to them. This is not a puppy and rainbows and unicorn book. It is not about a healthy relationship. It’s the complete opposite of that.
That said, it’s an awful lot of (sometimes uncomfortable) fun.
It’s also hard to say what the book is about without spoiling said fun.
One thing I can leave you with is the soundtrack. I like to make a soundtrack for all (or almost all) my books. Sometimes the songs inspired the book . . . sometimes the book inspired the song choice.
Max, the Sequel – The Soundtrack
Listen to it at Apple Music or Spotify or YouTube
- A Thousand Kisses Deep – Leonard Cohen, The Good Thief OST
- Severed – The Decemberists, I’ll Be Your Girl
- Hotel California (Spanish Mix), The Gipsy Kings, The Essential Gipsy Kings
- Stuck in the Middle With You, Stealers Wheel, Reservoir Dogs OST
- Two Hearts, Chris Isaak, Best of Chris Isaak (Remastered)
- Waitin’ ‘Round to Die, Townes Van Zandt, Townes Van Zandt
- Quien Es el Patron?, Systema Solar, Savages OST
- Are You Serious, Andrew Bird, Are You Serious
- Al Compas de Mi Caballo, Los Imperials, Color y Ritmo, Vol. 2
- La Vida Es Una Lenteja, Unaesta, GTA Vice City (Radio Espantoso)
- Fool Moon, Anteros, When We Land
- Beat the Devil’s Tattoo, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Beat the Devil’s Tattoo
- Devil Inside Me, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Blossom
- Borombon, Camilo Azuquita, Panama! 2: Latin Sounds, et al.
- Every You and Every Me, Placebo, Without Your I’m Nothing
- Blood Like Lemonade, Morcheeba, Blood like Lemonade (Deluxe Ver)
- Goodbye, Steve Earle, Train a Comin’
- Sway, Dean Martin, Greatest Hits